I fixed the sleeve-poufyness (mostly), but now I can’t decide what to use for Aouda’s underskirt — black satin or burgundy silk. So I pinned ’em both up and took pix to compare and contemplate.
Both of these are just pinned up (so they’re a bit messy), and both would, aside from the fabric color, have the same shapes. I’m going for an early 1870s slightly bustled look. The skirts are over a petticoat and small bustle pad. The front of the overskirt would be a simple apron with the sides pleated up. The back of the overskirt would drape in a waterfall fashion, nothing too fancy, just want to take advantage of the pretty sari border.
I’m waffling on the burgundy because I’d love to use all 6 yards on something really pretty. The Aouda underskirt would take 3 to 4 yards, which wouldn’t leave enough of the burgundy silk for anything else significant. And I just couldn’t spend more when I found this silk at Joann yesterday, not with the state of my finances and with the holidays coming up.
I have a strange hankering for an 1840s high gothic gown, something like this or this, both with a lovely fan-front bodice and smocked pointy waistline. That style would be gorgeous in the burgundy silk.
But then, it’s not like I need another “someday” project. I have probably 100+ yards of fabric in my sewing room, scads of patterns, boatloads of trim — not to mention over 50 somewhat-fleshed-out projects in my brain. I will never have the time and energy to make all of *those* so saving some pretty fabric that I *might* make into something someday is kinda dumb.
So yeah, dunno what I’m gonna do. I need to stop dithering and start the skirts this week because the event is the Saturday after next!