I got a mockup done of Thomas’ frockcoat for Carnivale. Now I can send the fabric and pattern out to Donna, since she offered to do the sewing as my birthday gift.
Using the Reconstructing History 1760s frock coat pattern, and surprisingly it didn’t suck. Sure, I just made a quick muslin, but it essentially worked. At least, once we got past user error! I accidentally sewed the back pieces together backwards and had Thomas try it on. I thought, man, this fits wonky in the armscye and and there’s a pokey bit in the center back that really should be smoothed out. Maybe if I go up a size, that’ll help the snugness under the arms … and then when I cut out new back pieces, I realized my problem. Doh!
Second try was a good fit, although the pattern seemed to run small — I settled on a size two sizes larger than what should have been his size according to the measurement chart on the pattern. I started out one size larger with the muslin (always a good practice, btw). He was trying on the muslin over a T-shirt and it *just* fit with adequate ease for arm/shoulder movement, so with a full-sleeved shirt and waistcoat, he’d need more room.
And since I haven’t included it yet, here’s the fabric for his coat:
It’s a mystery fiber content stuff, found at Jomar Fabrics in a skanky part of Philadelphia, with help from Donna and Kat, when I was in town on a business trip in June. Great deal on a lovely color and pattern. Thomas likes it a lot. It’ll look great with the black shirt and breeches he already has — would like some black velvet for the cuffs and pockets to tie it all together.