I set a strip of hook-and-eye tape in the late 16th-c. loose gown, which I started work on. Goal is to have this wearable for June A&S (yeah, yeah, planny-pants here is thinking ahead even though I’m still finishing stuff for the UK trip). Got the main body finished last night, letting it hang, and am debating adding a velveteen guard as the hem, since I have some coordinating velveteen leftover from the Valois gown.
The bigger problem is that I need a skirt to go under it. I *was* going to make it full-length, but for some reason, I cut it mid-calf. Still not sure if that was an accident or on purpose. But having a black skirt will be useful — if I can find some black fabric! There are no suitable black skirts in the closet (they’re all noticeably the wrong period). I have 4 yards of black wool, but it’s a really light weight (a bad online buy). I wonder if I could line it and/or guard the hem and put horsehair in the hem and pleat the waistband just so, all to get more oomph so it doesn’t look like a limp sack.
Blah blah blah, my sewing is boring, nobody cares!
Later that night…
I laid out all the trims I could possibly use on the loose gown. The gold stuff looked period (if a bit Sgt. Pepper), but it *totally* did not look like me. The all-black trim was the only thing that fit with my aesthetic and persona.