Who’s idea was it to make crazy complicated sleeves? Oh yeah, mine. Well, I’m chugging along…
Tuesday night, piped all the panes of the slashed puffs (say that five times fast). Yeah, the girl who said she’d never pipe anything again after the Eugenie Project is on her second piped sleeves. Never say never. But I’m not making piping from scratch this time — I had a ton of silver piping in The Stash, earmarked for another project, one that I hadn’t gotten to for at least 5 years & am likely to never make. Because saving is for suckers.
That’s my new motto regarding The Stash. I have a bad habit of saving some fabric or trim for a mythical fabulous costume that I’ll make “someday.” Well, we all know how soon & frequently “someday” arrives. Hardly ever, that is. Use it or lose it, baby! Sure, this trim might be perfect for that Someday Costume, but I haven’t made that Someday Costume in the half-decade I’ve owned this trim. Now’s the time to use it on *this* costume.
But I digress.
I piped the edges of all 14 panes via machine. They’re a little wonky, but good enough for government work, as they say. On Wednesday, I held a stitch n’ bitch session with friends, fresh-baked ginger cookies, & few beers. That’s when I started on the trim. Had to hand-sew it because the narrow trim curls under the presser foot of the machine, grrrr…. But I did get through one sleeve’s worth of panes. Seven down in about four hours.
I better get the second sleeve’s done on Friday night, because I want to start adding pearls & be able to assemble the final sleeves this weekend, maybe even attach them to the bodice.