I kind of need to have a finished belt before I can hem the gown, because the gown(s) hang differently when caught up by the belt.
You’d think this belt would be easier, but no. The sari trim was floppy, so I lined it with some light buckram, thinking that would be sufficient. Alas, it was still too light. Then I cast about for what in The Stash or around the house would give proper support yet not be overly corset-like (remember, this is supposed to be a comfy, casual costume!).
Well, duh, how about using a belt as the basis for this belt? In my closet, I found a wide black vinyl belt that I hadn’t worn in at least a year, if not more. I ripped off the buckle, trimmed the point, & it became the perfect structural base for this belt.
I added a couple darts in the sari trim because the vinyl belt curves (& thus fits better than a straight belt). I’d already added part of the velcro closure on the sari trim & left that as-is. I may add some fancy gold bits on the outside of the belt for a faux closure.
Next, out came my old friend, E-6000 glue. Powerful stuff, that. I sanded down the belt’s shiny vinyl a bit, cleaned up the dust, then slathered glue all over the belt. I positioned the sari trim, backside down onto the belt. Once it was where I liked, I flipped it over, & stacked my heaviest costume books on top, where I’m letting it dry for at least 24 hours.
Glue + books = belt.