For a change, I’m not making anything for myself, and instead, I’m sewing a bunch of stuff for other people. In time for the SCA’s 12th Night, I took on a bunch of commissions to sock away a little money. It’s both stressful because I’m doing this after I work 40+ hours at my office job and yet an interesting challenge because I’m learning more about patterning and fitting for bodies other than my own. And that later part is really a useful thing, so I’m gaining more than just the money.
Everything I’m doing is 16th-century costuming, since that’s what I’m most comfortable with. I’ve done a few English-style linen smocks, which I added machine blackwork embroidery on. I’m also making a few Venetian camicie. And the big project is a complete Venetian courtesan gown, with a camicia and ruffed partlet. I’ve done three or four mockups of the bodice so far (lost count!), and the fit looks quite nice now. My client provided all the materials, and she had some really lovely stuff.
While I won’t have anything new for me for 12th Night (well, I’ll be wearing my newest courtesan gown, made by Sarah, which I wore at Much Ado About Sebastapol but have not worn at an SCA event), since I’ve gotten back into the sewing swing of things, I’m kinda sorta thinking about sewing for me again… there’s a Game of Thrones-themed event that the GBACG is planning early in the new year… and I already have ideas for Costume College‘s “Plucked From the Pages” literary theme… so yes, there will be more activity in my newly refurbished sewing room and on this blog!