I have a hankering to recreate Charlotte Brontë’s going-away dress, c. 1854. Specifically to wear at Costume College in 2015, since the theme will be “Plucked From the Pages,” aka books and literary characters. I have a pattern (really just a scaled diagram) taken from the actual dress that is at the Brontë Parsonage Museum
Finished and worn at Dickens Fair! More pictures on Flickr.
Here’s a crappy iPhone photo before I left for work… Late that night… The jacket and belt are wearable! No pix — it looks like this morning’s photo but with a lot of trim on it and parts that you couldn’t see were unfinished are now finished, plus there are a lot of hooks and
Needs a buttload of trim, plus sleeve hems, but the concept is proven. Can kinda see the paper diamond pattern I made for the belt (I was inspired by the handy pattern Koshka drew from an extant 1860s Swiss waist; I didn’t actually print that out, but I eye-balled it). I’ve since sewn the velvet
Got the basic form cut and sewn last night. Added darts for better shaping this morning in between bouts of “OMG MIGRAINE.” Probably should not have sewn first thing in the morning, more importantly, probably should not have had half a bottle of red wine so late Saturday — that contributed to the sewing frenzy
I keep having to talk myself off the ledge when it comes to what I’m going to wear to Dickens this year. It seems like every morning I wake up with some Great New Idea about making a partially new costume in One Week! What was that saying? Right, as-if, and monkeys might fly out
Another fabulous collaboration with my dear Donna of Original Sin Design! I’d gotten this piece of hot pink sari fabric from a costumer’s garage sale and knew it would “pop” against black. But I didn’t know what style of what. Then fabric.com had a sale on black silk shantung, and Donna suggested we both wear
Photos from Costume-Con 26’s official photographer.
My weekend… It was a lot of things. 98% of them amazingly good. The truly crowning jewel, for those who didn’t hear, was this: Best in Show, Costume-Con 26 Historical Masquerade. Master Costumer for reals. See also: and the original inspiration. SO FUCKING WORTH IT. ******
Yay!!! Well, I’m not happy with mine (it’s a weird dress, but that’s the portrait and era’s fault; I’m so totally ripping the bertha and tucker off after this). But it’s done and mostly fits, especially if I don’t tight-lace (oops, I actually lost a tiny bit of weight after I did the skirt). Added
Dharma Trading Company rules the world!!! Dude, I always knew this was one awesome outfit, but these fine folks have, yet again, exceeded expectations! I’ve been hemming and hawing (mostly hawing) about what fabric to use for this last tiny little stupid annoying bit on my masquerade costume. I don’t really have anything right in
Anyone have a source — either online or that they can scan and post — for what one of those little lace caps looks like *not* on a woman’s head? I’m wondering how I should make mine. It doesn’t have ear flaps afaik. In the portrait, it mostly looks like just a back veil. Easy
Berthas are ugly and hard to make! But I’m getting there — evidence is in my folder on the Y!Group. Photo of my bodice with the bertha pinned on and lace pinned on (but not gathered). OMG I hate berthas! So completely ugly. And it kept angling weird, and the pleats went wonky on me
I feel kinda like a rockstar because last night I finished all those bloody hand-bound eyelets (though they were not actually bloody, thank the gods) *and* I am this close to being finished with the CC26 program book. The later looks a whole lot better than the former, but still. I’m doing it. Go me.
Bleh, hand-sewing. Hand-bound eyelets blow chunks. I’ve done one half of the bodice tho. Think it took about 4 hours (I called in sick to work today — was headachey in the a.m., plus Thomas’ mother was coming down for lunch). My fingers are sore. Not in an RSI way (yet) but in a ‘wish