This has been a bucket-list costume for ages, yet I finally made it as a quickie last-minute version in less than a month. The occasion came about because Bella Donna Historical Performers were singing at the PEERs Bal des Vampires right after Halloween, and they decided that their costume theme would be around the Bram
For the Northern California Pirate Festival in 2013, Bella Donna attended as “The House of the Rising Sun,” a New Orleans house of ill repute and gambling establishment. So we dressed in essentially 18th-century undress, plus lots of makeup and bling. Since I wasn’t satisfied with anything in my closet, I whipped up a new
Stayed up late sewing last night. What? On a weekday? Snowballs en l’enfer? Yeah. Added some freshwater pearls to the points in the cutout cross shape of the over-sleeves on my pink Florentine gown, plus at the corners of the collar. On Sunday, I’d sewn narrow gold trim along the collar & the cuffs of
The pink Florentine is wearable and screamingly pink. I should add neckline trim, and I really should have sewed the inner sleeves in instead of safety-pinning them in (I’m going to worry about them popping out all tomorrow). BUT, I’m tired. I absolutely hate sewing late the night before an event! I really hardly ever
Since we are day-tripping Mists Coronet, I need something to wear. And while the black and grey kirtle is basically done and looks fab, I kinda want to save it for Beltane. Then I saw that Sarah was working on a pink gown and I thought, ah-ha, maybe I can finish up the pink Florentine!
I wore this jacket with a black silk petticoat already in my closet, a purple mini-tricorn I purchased a few years ago, and various vintage and new accessories. Photos were taken at Colonial Williamsburg. More photos from this Williamsburg trip on Flickr.
Now there’s (crappy iPhone photo) evidence that I can make a jacket in a week! It’s finished with time to spare. All I have to do now for Williamsburg is dye my hair and pack.
I did a little bit of sewing today. Made gathered trim for the jacket’s sleeves and attached it to one sleeve. Should be pretty fast to attach it to the next sleeve, then sew the black velvet braid on top on both sleeves. I’m doing all the trimming by machine, which is a first for
Fueled by vast quantities of Kauai coffee, I started on a new jacket for Williamsburg. Yeah, I went there. Made from this purple-shot-with-red dupioni silk in The Stash. First, I dug out the J.P. Ryan jacket pattern I’d fitted last fall in planning for the Lumieres gambling party (but abandoned in favor of the stripey
Photos of me wearing the jacket at the Lumieres Summer Pique-nique 2010.
Three-fourths of a jacket done. It’ll be a bit plain. No time nor stuff in The Stash for trimmings. Still not sure if I’ll finish it up — I could easily do it tomorrow, but I have many other boring house things I need to finish first. Still, very pleased that the thing went together
The J.P. Ryan 18th-century jacket pattern is seriously made of WIN. I idly did a mockup this evening, on a whim. The size fit true, went together easily (didn’t even need to consult the instructions), & *drum roll please* it fits! DOOOD. So I cut it out of the fashion fabric. No idea if I’ll
I’m *this close* to being done with the new outfit. I cartridge-pleated up the black wool skirt and attached the waistband (note: I really do a lot of hand-sewing for someone who hates hand-sewing). Let it hang on Sunday so I can hem it tonight or tomorrow. Hemming will be by hand (see note). I’d
Me in the revamped gown at the Crosston Ball, photos courtesy of Chris Nelson.
Accomplished sewing stuff last night. Added a 3″ hook-and-eye placket to the 1580s bodice. Fits beautifully now, and while the placket is nothing great to look at, it’ll all be covered up with trim soon enough. Still need to add to the skirts waistbands, but that’s a quick fix. Then I can wear the gown