This is a pretty vague concept so far … I have this unusual black and grey fabric, 100% polyester (because I don’t care!), woven thistle / pomegranate pattern that’s rather 16th-century by way of Art Deco, with a nice supple hand. So far, I’m thinking it’ll be good as a kirtle, perhaps with sleeves. There’s
Pattern-drafting is not my strong suit, but I don’t live near enough to, well, anyone it seems for me to easily beg/barter that service on a regular basis. Thus, I had to start on my own for to make this 16th-century doublet. *sigh.* I was inspired by what I could suss out of the seam
I finally got to wear this Jacobean jacket at Mists Bardic and received compliments & queries about how I made it and what it was all about (update: I’ve worn it many times since, and people always ask if I embroidered the whole thing — heck no!, I tell them :-). I wore it with
Finished something! Well, except for closures (doesn’t everyone need a little closure?). But there’s enough trim on the black Jacobean jacket, enough to call it baked. ‘Cept do I want bows or not? I could add pink ribbon bows up the front, prob. four of them. Might still need to close with pins because there’s
I just sewed a bunch of trim on the Jacobean jacket and I’m still kinda drunk. And I think the jacket could use more trim. That’s what I love about Elizabethan and Victorian bustle eras — shit-tons of trim. Add more, then add a little bit more on top of that. Just in case.
I sewed a lot of trim on my black Jacobean jacket. But there’s still more to do! Got the godets outlined in black braid, put on the lace at the collar, and eeked out a bit more of the crewel edging for cuffs. But I want to edge the sleeves’ crewel stripes in a narrow
I finally finished this sucker, despite a number of setbacks. Like discovering I had cut out two upper left sleeves out of the crewelwork, and of course, there wasn’t enough fabric left to cut a right upper sleeve. So instead of making the sleeves half crewel/half solid, they’re all solid. DOH! The pattern was kind
My so-far attempt at a Jacobean jacket. The muslin looked really good on me, and this part doesn’t look too bad, even though I could not line up the border pattern and I royally f-ed up the godets. Speaking of which, does anyone have a trick for putting in triangular godets? I’ve never gotten them
There’s no point even considering hand-sewing something when the pattern you’re using (Jacobean Jacket by Dawn Anderson Designs) isn’t terribly accurate to begin with. It’s not horribly inaccurate — I can see exactly why the designer chose to put a seam there and that *is* accurate for doublet bodices in the era, even though it’s
At the Doubletree Hotel in San Jose.
Here’s the completed gown as I wore it to 12th Night.
I bit the bullet and commissioned the lovely and talented Sarah to make this gown for me! She took my concept, tweaked the pattern she and Bridget made for my 1580s doublet, and *ta-da*, created a fabulous ensemble for 12th Night. She rocks and a half All I made was that beaded girdle I’d been
This one’s been on my mind for a while. In fact, this portrait was one of my early inspirations for what became the 1580s gown. I love the stripes, of course, and I really love the high, closed doublet front (and I did go for that style in the other gown too). The little ruffs,
I wanted a Nice Wool Dress for my late 16th-century lowland Scots gentlewoman character. Specifically, I needed something to wear to the SCA Beltane event, and the only thing I’ve made since re-entering Elizabethan garb was my big ol’ super-fancy court gown. That one *is not* going camping, hell noes! I also knew I wouldn’t