Words, words, words
I write constantly, always have. From tortured teenage journals to prosaic to-do lists to graduate-level analyses of Victorian women writers, my words runneth over. Since 1995, I've been editing and writing for the Web professionally.I've been a writer and editor at various websites, such as MetroActive, Riffage, Yahoo!, Seagate, and eHealth, and my work has encompassed:
- Researching and writing articles about consumer hard drives such as Save Your Purchased Movie Downloads to Watch Anywhere, which increased traffic to the drive's product page by 12%.
- Editing articles and programming content for the now-shuttered Yahoo! Green, the #1 ranked environmental website from 2009 to 2011.
- Writing environmental articles on topics from meatless Mondays to fireplace myths (when it was first published in 2009, the later received 600 comments and got me called a liberal freak :-).
- Teaching classes and speaking at conferences on topics such as user-friendly error messages and search-engine optimization for headlines.
- Contributing two chapter drafts and rounds of feedback to the Yahoo! Editorial Style Guide, published by St. Martins in 2010.
- Writing and researching answers for the kid's column, Ask Earl, on the recently discontinued site Yahooligans.
You can find my full resume on LinkedIn. I may be available for editorial consulting, if the projects align with my interests noted here.
The art of dressing up
My mother and grandmother taught me to sew when I was little, and I've been designing elements of my own wardrobe and historical / fantasy costumes ever since. Creating unusual clothing lets me work with my hands while exploring history. I also love acting and bringing characters to life -- which requires elaborate costume. For far, far too much detail about my life in fancy dress, visit my Costume Closet.
- Looking for material about one of my costume classes? Go to the articles page.
The desire to express myself in fashion led me into the gothic subculture early in my life. In addition to sewing wild outfits, I assembled the original faq for the Usenet group alt.gothic.fashion and ran fashion shows for the net.goth convention, Convergence.
To prove that one can be a professional and still express the darker side, I started a blog about my daily work outfits called This Is CorpGoth. A couple times a week, I photograph what I'm wearing to the office and post it for the online world to see.
And back in 1997, I created Gothic Martha Stewart -- not a parody, but a genuine guide to decadently dark home decor and crafts. The website was reviewed in Entertainment Weekly, Maxim, The New Yorker, Bust, and many other publications. I don't really update the site anymore, but the projects are pretty timeless.
All seven continents
Travel makes the world smaller and your heart bigger. My husband, videographer Thomas Dowrie, suggested traveling together when we first met in 1992, and we eventually set foot on all seven continents including Antarctica.
In 2004, we began T&T's Real Travels -- a business to promote travel for everyone. We film our adventures and have a video podcast series about travel. Our biggest HD project is about Venetian carnevale, and we have released a costume-travel documentary, The Blo Norton Experience.Where are we going next?
- 2014 -- Florida
- 2015 -- Jamaica
- 2016 -- Italy
Of course, as we learned from our Antarctica expedition leader Olle, the itinerary is always subject to change...