This is the first version of my Venetian courtesan gown, made by Sarah. We decided to do a test-run in tourney-friendly cotton damask fabric to make sure the pattern worked before cutting into the $38/yard silk. Also, who doesn’t love having two dresses?
Sarah draped the bodice based on period designs with some specific tweaks desired by Bella Donna. I made the sleeves based on the sleeves in this portrait c. 1550 of a young woman, painted by the circle of Paris Bardone. I also hemmed the gown with black velvet (it’s what I had), which dictated the black ribbon trim on the bodice & sleeves. Note: The loose lacing at the very top of the gown is my fault, not a design flaw. I had re-laced the gown midday & simply neglected to pull the lace tighter, so it ended up looking a bit sloppy when I got around to taking photos. Ah well!
The hair is also a first rev, my attempt at Venetian horns. I mounted rats on combs, covered them with fake hair, & secured them to the side of my head. They were very comfortable to wear — better than a full wig. But the shape needs refinement. Still, everyone got the reference, so it’s going in the right direction.